If You Hit a Cross BoreBe Alert Home< Back

 

If you think you have hit a gas or electric line, act fast! Take the steps below, even if damage appears minor.

If You Hit a Gas Line

  • Immediately warn others and evacuate the area; if indoors, immediately evacuate the premises. From a safe location, call 911 and Ameren Illinois at 800.755.5000.
  • Extinguish all open flames. Do not use matches or lighters and do not attempt to light an appliance.
  • Do not use any phones, electric switches, thermostats, or appliance controls. All of these devices, including battery-operated equipment, can cause sparks and ignite natural gas.
  • Do not start or turn off vehicles or motorized equipment. Abandon any motorized equipment you may be operating.
  • Do not attempt to find the source of the leak or to repair a leak.
  • Do not operate underground gas valves.

If You Hit an Electric Line

  • Call Ameren Illinois immediately for any electric line contact.
  • Leave the premises and abandon tools and equipment. Equipment that remains in contact with a buried power line poses a serious electric shock hazard.
  • Stay away from the area, and warn others to stay away, until Ameren Illinois' personnel tell you it is safe to return.
  • If someone has been shocked, call 911 immediately.

If you suspect a gas leak, immediately warn others and evacuate the area; if indoors, immediately evacuate the premises. From a safe location, call 911 and Ameren Illinois at 800.755.5000.